Followers

Search This Blog

Translate

Monday 21 October 2013

SILK ROAD CITIES: DAY 25, BUKHARA – SAMARKAND (380KM)

15th June 2013
After a very filling breakfast at the guest house, I hurriedly did my city tour of this ancient city of Bukhara. I visited Lyabi House, some madressas, Kalon Minaret, Kalon Mosque and the Ark. It was a hot but windy day. I couldn’t spend much time for sightseeing as I had to rush to Samarkand today itself.
Lyabi House
Some crafts exhibitted at Lyabi House
 
 

Kalon Minaret....It was said that during the ancient times,
criminals were pushed from the top window down to their deaths
The Ark


Souvenirs sold at the Old City Bazaar

Once done with the sightseeing, I checked out and made my way to my next destination via M37. The wind was still blowing madly that I could see some trees were forced to bend very low due to the powerful blow. I had no device to indicate how strong the wind speed was, but I guess its not less than 100kmh.
 
It was easy to navigate my way, and the road condition was partly good and partly so-so, but much better compared to yesterday’s ride. All along the way, I had my favourite rock kapak era song 'Samarkand' (by Bloodshed) hummed in my mind. During those days, I had no idea that I will one day set foot in Samarkand..... what more on a motorbike and riding SOLO!!!

I arrived Samarkand after 4 hours of riding. I may not have Flecker’s poetic talents, but I could finally say that I had taken the golden road to Samarkand.
Sweet to ride forth at evening from the wells,
When shadows pass gigantic on the sand,
And softly through the silence beat the bells
Along the Golden Road to Samarkand.
We travel not for trafficking alone;
By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned:
For lust of knowing what should not be known
We take the Golden Road to Samarkand.
(Source: Brians World Tour)
The road to Samarkand.....May be not golden or silent anymore,
but a rare moment of solitude, and time to reflect on a dream realised.....
While cruising around to search for the guest house where I wanted to stay for the night, I spotted the first glimpse of the famous Registan, and took the opportunity for pics.
 
I checked in at the guest house, and while having dinner, to my surprise, two familiar faces walked in. They were Jeremy and Brentt, backpacker friends from Canada & USA whom I met at Osh Guest House. They had just arrived from Khojand, Tajikistan, and they both looked very tired. It was so nice to meet them again. That night was spent on catching up stories of how and what each of us had been through since the last time we met in Osh.
No idea whats the name, but sooo yummy,
tasted like our very own murtabak
p/s: A more detailed story about my journey will be told in my upcoming book. More beautiful pics of course. STAY TUNED.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

NASTIA

Band: NASTIA, Title: ANGGUR (taken from EP 'EKSPRESI')
HAK CIPTA ANITA YUSOF